Library Card Application
Library cards are free for City of El Paso residents. Non City residents may pay a membership fee of $25 for 6 months or $50 for 12 months. Each person is allowed one membership only.
Full Service Library Card Subscriptions and Renewals
Patrons may apply for or renew a full service library card in-person at any library branch or by filling out an online application. A physical, full service card will be issued at library branches. Once an new online application is submitted, please allow a processing time of 3 days before you pickup your library card.
Instantaneously check out eBooks, Audio Books, Movies, Music, Magazines and more for free! Available for Residents of the City of El Paso
- Patrons apply by filling out the online registration form
- 6-digit eCard number is issued instantaneously
- Expires in 30 days
- No physical card
- 6-digit eCard number may also be used to place holds on physical materials but a physical card is required for checkout
The Responsibilities of a Library Card
You are legally responsible for all library materials borrowed on you card, whether the items were borrowed with or without your permission. Parents and legal guardians are responsible for materials borrowed on their children’s cards. You must report any change of name, address, or loss of card to the Library immediately. Patrons must pay any fines and/or fees for damaged or lost items. Patron owing fines will be blocked from checking out materials until payment/renewal is arranged.
If You Lose or Damage an Item
If a customer loses an item, the customer is responsible for the replacement cost for that item (i.e. the list price of the item at the time it was added to the collection). Library policy does not allow the customer to replace or substitute the lost item with another item. Once the Library receives payment for a lost item, the item becomes the property of the patron. The Library cannot accept the return of or provide refunds for lost materials if they are found after payment of replacement charges has been made.
Only Residents of the US are Eligible for a Non-Resident Card
A non-resident fee for checking out books and other materials. This policy is in response to an increased demand in services and reductions in State and Federal funding. To maintain full borrowing privileges, those who live outside the City limits will need to pay a fee of $25 for 6 months or $50 for a full year of service.
- Show a United States government issued photo identification card with your picture, your name, and your current address or Matricula Consular. (General Delivery will not be accepted as an address.)
- Complete a library card application form.
- If presenting an unexpired U.S. government issued photo ID, without current address, or Matrícula Consular, please provide an approved document as proof of current address.
If your identification card does not include your current address, we will also need one of the following in either print or digital formats as proof of current address:
- Bank statement
- Utility bill (gas, electric, water, internet, satellite or cable TV, landline phone bill dated within the last 60 days)
- Unexpired lease or mortgage
- Current tax bill or unexpired voter registration card
- Military personnel or their dependents who live on post may use a copy of the service member’s current orders to Fort Bliss as a proof of address document. (Post Office boxes will not be accepted as proof of address.)
Adults must be present in the library before library cards will be issued.
If you are under 13 years of age, your parent or legal guardian must present his/her ID and sign your library card application.
Children must be present in the library when library cards are issued.
Military personnel and their dependents may show their military ID when applying for a library card, but must also provide proof of residency within the United States.
You must be registered as a library cardholder in order to borrow materials, and you must present a library card or photo ID when checking them out.
Please report lost library cards promptly. You will be charged $1.00 to replace a lost children/teen library card or $2.00 to replace an Adult library card. Library cards damaged during normal use will be replaced without charge.
Library cards must be renewed every 2 years. You must present the same kind of identification that you presented when you first requested a library card. (See above.)
Temporary library cards are available during the pandemic. CLICK HERE TO APPLY