Little Star City Readers: 1000 Books Before Kindergarten
The Little Star City Readers program is a fun way to encourage early literacy! Studies have shown that families who start reading aloud to their children at birth help strengthen their language skills and build their vocabulary —two important tools when they begin learning to read in kindergarten.
How to participate:
- Register - Sign up @ your nearest open library location or sign up below and track your reading online
- Track Your Reading - Color in a star on the bookmark reading log every time you read a book, or keep track online
- Every Book Counts - New book, same book, or storytime book. It all counts!
- 100-Book Milestones – When you reach 100 books, bring in your reading log or show your screen, and get a sticker!
- Read 1000 Books - Come in to get your certificate of completion!
- Keep on Reading - Don't stop at 1000! Keep on reading and learning together!
Who can participate in this program? Any child from birth until they enter kindergarten can participate in the Little Star City Readers: 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
How long will the program take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together based on the child's age. You can start at any time:
|Child's Age||Books Per Week|
How many of my children can participate? All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun by reading as a family!
Do I have to read only books from El Paso Public Libraries? No, you can read books from anywhere.
My child has favorite books. Can I count the same title more than once? Yes!
This project is made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museums and Library Services and the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.